Becoming a Titus 2 Woman

Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. Titus 2:4,5

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Cloth Menstrual Products


I use cloth diapers for my baby. And I have for my babies before her. During my hunts for cloth diapers online I discovered cloth menstrual pads. At first I was shocked and turned off by the ewwww factor. Then I decided it wouldn't be so bad, I mean I use cloth diapers already, how much worse could it be? Then I thought about sanitation. You know I always thought disposable pads were sanitized, but they aren't any more than toilet paper is. So I decided to give it a try. I ordered some and eagerly (I can't believe I was eager) waited for my monthly. It arrived and I tried them. They were so much more comfortable then store-bought. And maintaining them wasn't really all that difficult. They worked wonderfully. I was sold.

Most of the sites gave a dozen as all that was needed for an average woman. Well, I am NOT average. I prefer between 3-4 dozen because I use 12-16 in a day. Between washing and drying I don't like to feel like I am running out. The average flow is said to be about 3 oz., Mine is about 10. You might be asking how I discovered that information that not many would even want to know? I bought something called a Keeper, which is a reusable rubber cup that goes inside and catches the flow. It is just washed and reused. This made life much simpler for me, because now I could leave the house without carrying a huge bag full of pads. Anyway, the keeper holds 1 oz., and by keeping track, I was able to gage my flow. I discovered the Diva Cup, which I much prefer and am using currently. With the Keeper I always leaked a bit, but I don't have those problems with the Diva Cup. I only really use my cup for errands, exercise etc. I prefer not to use it all the time. Just my preference.

I am so happy that I don't have to go to the store and buy those paper things anymore, and even post-partum I use cloth, because I just really don't like paper pads anymore.

I have used many types. I made my own with this pattern, and they turned out really nice, I use these for post-partum. I also have used Gladrags which I don't really recommend (except the over-night or post-partum pad which is great). Of course if you have a lighter flow than I do they will work fine. I am currently using Gladrags overnight, Cyclez Maxi (a favorite of mine but pricey), Sweet Cheeks pads in different sizes. Most of mine are Sweet Cheeks because they are very comfy and work very well, they also are very affordable. I would like to try Happy Heiny's Mama Pads, but I haven't yet. They are just like the old Fuzzi Bunz pads that worked wonderful and were very reliable.

As far as washing goes, I just soak them in an covered container of cold water and wash them in a laundry bag with my family's daily laundry. It is very simple and isn't really any extra work. Just don't leave the soaking water more than a day, it gets really yucky.

Currently I am trying to design a better overnight pad for the heavier flow gals like me. I have ideas rolling around in my head, but I haven't acted on them yet. Cloth pads are kind of an odd hobby of sorts for me, because I want to have everything ready for when my 3 girls are of age. I want to know the best and have a wonderful package made up in advance to give them as a gift to celebrate that special time.

7 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Christina said...

I use Luna Pads and have considered trying a Diva cup. I am glad to know I am not the only one who chose to get PAST the "ewwww" factor!!!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Dee said...

So sorry to make you uncomfortable. My intent was to share other options with women that might not be aware of them. I do apologize for your discomfort though.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this--its something I think about but haven't acted on. Of course, I haven't had a cycle lately, but I suppose they'll return sooner or later. Lol lyn from http://lynanc.blogdrive.com

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Christina said...

I am also glad you posted it because I sometimes feel that I am WEIRD and was encouraged to realize there would not be so many companies out there selling these products unless other people were also "weird".

I have seen other things on various blogs which are far more offensive or inappopriate. It is not like you shared specific details of YOUR use of them. Please! It is so just a part of life!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Personally, I found "blog-surfer's" blog MUCH more offensive in EVERY possible way. I would even go as far as to say, JUST TAKE MY WORD FOR IT... Do NOT check out his blog! I feel nauseous now!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Dee said...

Sometimes it's good to be weird.

About blog-surfer, I only read his profile and saw that he was MALE and young. Okay, now why is he reading a 30-something mother of 6 children's blog anyway? I guess because it is so foreign from his own life. I hope he came away with something that would help him think about Jesus and Christianity in some way.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. this is honesty. On a whole new level. I have to admit that I am impressed by your description. Almost enough to consider trying it, but not quite. Sounds like way too much work when I can just throw something away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home